Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Adventures in Healdsburg

Lupo the great coyote hunter
J&J Vineyard

Jill's organic garden

The orange tomatoes were awesome, I should have remembered their name..golden somthin tasty or other. Not sure why I didn't photograph the giant heirloom tomatoes, but they were really good as was the swiss chard and dinosaur kale.





Raisins on the vine. Yummy but crunchy with the seeds n all.

J&J Vineyard in Dry Creak
Erik, one of my oldest friends. We've know each other since we were in kindergarten.

Erik's portrait of me. Not bad e, thanks for the photos.
I exsisted in Healdsburg
Healdsburg




 Preston Of Dry Creek
Winery & Vineyard
& Organic Farm



Preston's tasting room


 The Madam Preston was my favorite wine in the flight.
It was fruity and crisp.


 Sold only at the winery on Sundays, Prestons has their jug wine, Guadagni, available. It's a tasty hearty Burgundy wine.The bottle is filled and labeled on the spot, and you chat with the Prestons and nibble a few homemade olives.  Anyone who really knows me, also knows that I'm an olive fiend. I had to hold back. One more glass of wine and that might not have been possible. My love of olives is something that I will forever share with my Uncle Richard and my Dad Robert. In addition to white and red cells, I have olive juice platelets in my blood.
I should have bought a jug for my next dinner party,
I'm kinda bummed that I didn't. I seem to be traveling north often, so I'll have to get one on the next journey.

Preston's cats





Preston makes fresh olive oil too
 Down the road from Preston's is Quivera. Jill, my friend at J&J Vineyard kept telling me I had to see the pigs. She saw them when the were first born. I think I would have loved to meet them then. As dirty as they were, they were so frickin cute, and really friendly. The only thing that kept me from climbing into the pen was the two giant momma pigs, (one of them a wild boar), and Erik, my voice of reason. I have video of them squealing and snorting and squeaking that I'm going to figure out how to edit together soon. I was trying to hold the 5D steady, but they were so funny, there's a little camera shake.
I understand why people have pet pigs.
This is the momma boar that started it all. 

I was told that Quivera made this boar their logo and then she had babies.
She was suppose to by Christmas dinner, but dear Charlotte's little spider got her pregnant and she avoided the oven. Not sure what's going to happen to the vineyard mascot, but a little mousing around online seems to imply that some of the piggies are being honored as a tasty swine dinner at the 
Healdsburg Hotel in March 2011.


 This little piggy wore socks
This little piggy said hello

 This little piggy went for a bite to eat and then a run

These little piggies are plotting there escape



Squeal & squeak!
 Oink!
 
 Snort!



 and this little pig went we we we all the way to the 
Pigs and Pinot celebration hosted by Charlie Palmer

for a little levity...
Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules : Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?


No comments:

Post a Comment